Vando Borghi (1965; Ph.D. 1996, University of Bologna) is a Professor of Sociology of Economic and Labour Processes, University of Bologna. In 2013 he obtained the Award of Italian National Scientific Qualification (Abilitazione Scientifica Nazionale), both for the sector/position currently covered and for the sector of General Sociology.
He took his degree in Political Sciences at the University of Bologna (1990) and has been collaborating for many years with the scientific and teaching activities (social sciences and philosophy) of the Fondazione San Carlo (Modena) and of its International School of High Studies in “Science of culture” (1989-1997). He was employed as social worker in a social co-operative, working with adolescent drop-outs (1996-1998).
His research deals with interaction among policies, institutions and social practices and is conducted on different empirical grounds: labour, unemployment and vulnerability, activation policies, urban transformations, culture and city policies, research and policy bases. In recent years this research has focused mainly on the theme of the cognitive/informational bases of policies and on the effects of inclusion or exclusion of social actors in production processes of these same bases. The concept of capacity (capability, critical capacities of actors, capacity to aspire) is the perspective in which these research interests are developed. These various areas of research can be summarised into a fundamental interest in the "social bases of democracy."
He recently published Le catene del lavoro, Roma, 2017 (with L. Dorigatti, L. Greco); Workers and the Global Informal Economy. Interdisciplinary perspectives, London-New York, 2016 (eds. with S. Routh), From Knowledge to Informational Basis: Capability, Capacity to Aspire and Research (in “Critical Sociology”, 2017.
- Visiting scholar, Institut für Soziologie di Friburg, March, 2017
- Invited Guest at theWissenschaftskolleg Berlin – Institute for Advanced Study Berlin, (18-23 January), 2016
- Fellowship at theInstitut d’Etudes Avancées de Nantes, January-March 2014
- Research visiting at Universidad Nacional de General Sarmiento, Buenos Aires, June 2013
- Scientific Committee of Alsos, National Foundation for research in Humanities and Social Issues ( [http://www.fondazionealsos.org/] )
- Member of Sui Generis - Laboratory of sociology of public action, Università Miliano-Bicocca
- Board of the section Vita Quotidiana of AIS (Associazione Italiana di Sociologia), 2012-2015
- Board of the section Economia, lavoro, organizzazione of AIS (Associazione Italiana di Sociologia), 2006-9
- Board of the journal Sociologia del lavoro
- Board of the journal Rivista delle politiche sociali (2013-5)
- Editorial Commitee of Politiche Sociali
- Scientific Committee of the journal Partecipazione e conflitto
- Editorial Committee of European Journal of Creative Practices in Cities and Landscapes
- Editorial Committee of the publisher Socialmente
- Scientific Committee of Istituto Gramsci – Emilia-Romagna
- Scientific board of Ires ER (Regional Trade Union Research Institute, Cgil Emilia Romagna) and of its journal ERE-Emilia Romagna Europa (2005-2014)
- Core Group of Active Social Policies European Network, (2005-2011)